The last several years have given rise to organizations around the country whose primary aim is to get kids outside and off their cellular devices — texting, playing games and/or glued to social media. The concerns — physical, mental, and social for kids lacking opportunities to spend time outdoors are based on well-founded evidence. Kids can fare better in more rural parts of the country and we would do well to encourage them by offering as many opportunities as possible including the participation in our wonderful field trial sport.
Field trialing offers these and many more benefits:
- Promotes physical and mental health and wellbeing by having kids active and outdoors — and off their digital devices!
- Teaches responsibility through caring for and working with animals.
- Instills confidence and healthy competition while fostering real life social skills — friendship, cooperation, and sharing.
- Promotes a lifelong love of the outdoors, dogs, horses and wildlife and good sportsmanship.
- Engages young people in local community activities and builds their understanding and appreciation of longtime traditions.
- Nurtures an interest, support and involvement in wildlife conservation.